PAC Home Project Grant 2016
Plymouth Arts Centre are pleased to offer a Project Grant for a PAC Home member or group of members to plan and deliver a curated project during the 2016 Plymouth Art Weekender.
Aiming to support artist-led and curatorial practice and increase the number of opportunities for artists working in Plymouth, Devon and Cornwall to present new work, PAC Home is offering a £400 cash grant alongside in-kind support for curators, artists or writers to develop an event or exhibition.
Applicants are invited to submit proposals for exhibitions or events which include the work of at least one artist member of PAC Home (either themselves or another artist/s) and take place in either one of the spaces for hire at Plymouth Arts Centre, at another venue in the city or in public space (there will be no room hire charge for use of PAC spaces).
The breakdown of the cash grant should be used as follows: £200 Research and development fee, £150 towards installation materials or other resources/equipment, £50 towards marketing.
In addition to the cash grant PAC staff are also offering advisory sessions for support with:
- Event management & planning
- Front of House & hospitality
- Curating & interpretation
- Film programming & screening
- Marketing & PR
- Installation & technical equipment
- Risk assessment and insurance
Applicants are encouraged to consider using the Project Grant as match funding for an Arts Council England Grants for the Arts Award and should consult with the a-n/AIR guidelines for artists’ fees when planning the budget for their project.
Proposals will be selected on the following:
- Strength of curatorial concept
- Selection of artists and consideration of artists’ work in relation to curatorial ideas
- Demonstrated ability to deliver the proposed project
The Project Grant recipient/s will be expected to complete a simple evaluation following the event/exhibition and will be asked to write a post for the Plymouth Arts Centre blog.
The PAC Home Project Grant has been made possible with the support of Plymouth Culture.
Proposals must include the following and be sent as a single pdf or word doc attachment by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before midday on Monday 18 April
2016 Extended deadline Monday 25 April 2016:
- Written proposal (max. 500 words) for the event/short exhibition detailing
- who is involved,
- what the event/exhibition concept is,
- the venue (include whether the venue is confirmed or provisionally booked),
- date/s and duration (confirmed or preferred date/s),
- technical requirements (including confirmed/needed equipment)
- marketing strategy
- Preferred support sessions with PAC staff
- Short summary of previous curatorial experience and relevant skills (if applying as a collaboration or group please supply this for each person involved in organising the project)
- One page budget detailing
- predicted costs for the event/exhibition
- any other funding confirmed or needed for the project
- any potential income during the event/exhibition eg. sale of refreshments, works etc
- Maximum 5 supporting images or links to video hosted online
This opportunity is open to PAC Home members only. Artists, writers and curators can join PAC Home to become eligible for this opportunity. See PAC Home webpage for further information about PAC Home and how to join.
Key dates – dates adjusted due to Plymouth Arts Centre website problems
Mon 18 April: Deadline for proposals
Monday 25 April: Extended deadline for proposals
Friday 29 April: Selection confirmed
23 – 25 September: Event/exhibition should take place
Monday 31 October: Deadline for evaluation
Plymouth Art Weekender:
List of PAC Home members:
Spaces for hire at PAC:
Arts Council England’s Grants for the Arts:
a-n/AIR’s draft Exhibition Fee framework and Guidelines: https://www.payingartists.org.uk/2016/01/new-report-sets-out-draft-exhibition-fee-framework-for-artists-and-galleries/
a-n Guidance on fees and daily rates:
driftingspace report on PAC Home Curatorial grant 2014: